CTA LEAGUE SCORING AND RECORDING SCORES
PLEASE RECORD AND CONFIRM YOUR SCORES PROMPTLY. Help Keep the Standings Up to Date. Captains need to login to perform any of the following actions.
LOGIN: Go to www.swfla-tennis.com. Click on ‘CTA Login & Registration’. Enter your email address and password. Click ‘Sign In’. After you login, on your Profile/Summary page scroll down to the section ‘Competitions’ and click on the name of your team, usually the first one on the list to get to your team page.
EITHER CAPTAIN RECORDS SCORES within 24 hours. On your team page, click on under the “matches” bar, on the specific match date, click on the “Enter Score” to the right of the “lineup” button. Third set tiebreakers are entered 1 – 0 (not the actual score).
1. Each line of play has a Status drop-down box that is set, by default, to 'Completed”. You can change this to 'default', 'retired”, or 'double default”. Definitions are given below.
2. Click the winner of each line of play in the first column on the left.
3. Using the drop-down boxes, click on the players’ names.
4. Enter the match scores per set in the appropriate boxes. For sets that played a tiebreaker, enter 7-6. You do not need to enter the actual tiebreaker score.
5. For retired matches, enter the actual score when the match ended, making sure to click 'retired” for the status.
6. Default: One or two players did not play. List the status as ‘Default’ and list the name(s) of the player(s) earning the win due to the default. For the name of the missing player(s) - click on ‘Default’ in the drop-down box of names. Enter the score as 6-0, 6-0
7. Retire: At least one point of the match was played before it was decided to retire the match. List the status as ‘Retired’ and enter all players’ names. Enter score as it was on the last point played.
8. Double Default: Both teams did not send players. 'Status” is set to ‘Double Default' and ‘Default’ is the name used for all players. 11. Click on the submit button. Any errors will result in non-submission and TopDog will offer possible solutions at the bottom of the screen.
OPPOSING CAPTAIN CONFIRM SCORES within 48 hours. Login and on your team page, click on ‘Options‘ to the left of the match date and select ‘Confirm Score’. Scroll down and check scores and players. If OK click ‘I Confirm this match’.
SCORES ENTERED INCORRECTLY
If the match is entered incorrectly call or email your opponent who entered the scores. They can change the incorrect match information by clicking on ‘Options‘ to the left of the match date and select ‘Change Score’. Click on the name of your opponent’s team to view their captain’s name and phone number or click on their email address send them an email. Once scores are confirmed only League Coordinators can change scores.
SCORING ~ All matches will be the best two out of three sets with regular scoring and a set tie-break (Coman) at 6-all in each set. The set tie-break is 7-points, (the first to seven by two points). No rest break is allowed after the first game during a set.
In the event of split sets, a SUPER TIE-BREAK (Coman), (the first to 10 by two points), shall be played in lieu of a third set with a two minute set break. The Super Tie-Break shall be scored as 1 set and 1 game for tiebreak procedures. Enter the Super Tie-Break as 1-0 on the scorecard.
One (1) point is awarded for each overall team win (not individual courts won). Some divisions play four courts so the match may end with a 2-2 tie. To break the tie the following tiebreaks will be used. Least Individual sets lost, if still tied then least Individual games lost will be used to break ties. Sometimes a match will end in a tie.
DIVISION STANDINGS ~ To determine season standings and playoff participants if overall matches won are tied in the season standings: least individual matches lost; then if still tied, least individual sets lost; then if still tied least individual games lost will be used to break ties.
The CTA League, a local interclub league, philosophy is to give players as many matches as possible and play as many different teams as possible during the time allotted. We sometimes do not play everyone in our flight or division or sometimes teams in flights with byes. Sometimes the number of teams in a division and the number of weeks of play do not allow for a complete rotation through the flight. All of the above is OK with this league. Those divisions will use % won if they do not play everyone in the division or there are uneven numbers of teams or byes. (% = # of Overall Team Wins divided by the # of Matches Played.)
In the CTA League standing, the points column to the left of the matches win/loss is really the “percentage”. The standings in order of priority is working from left to right in the divisional standings below:
Points- which is the percentage of overall matches won. Each weekly team overall win counting as 1.
Least individual matches lost
Least individual sets lost
Least individual games lost
The CTA League has used many different league scoring methods over the years. All have advantages and disadvantages. The CTA League and their Advisory Committee feel that this league scoring method is the most fair for our league.
SCORING DEFAULTS and RETIREMENTS
ONE TEAM DEFAULTS A POSITION: Team does not field a position(s). If individual match is partially played record as a Retirement. At the top of the individual match where the scorecard status shows ‘Completed’, use the down arrow and select ‘Default’. Select the names of the players who would have played if the match was not defaulted. For the defaulted players, instead of choosing a player’s name, select the word ‘Default’ from the player list. Put in the scores 6-0, 6-0 in favor of the non-defaulting team. Select the correct team as winner.
BOTH TEAMS DEFAULT A POSITION
At the top of the individual match where the scorecard status shows ‘Completed’, use the down arrow and select ‘Double Default’. For all the defaulted positions, instead of choosing a player’s name, select the word ‘Default’ on the list of names. Leave the scores blank. Either team can be selected as winner. The system ignores the winner status for double defaults.
PLAYER RETIRING IN THE MIDDLE OF A MATCH
At the top of the individual match where the scorecard status shows ‘Completed’, use the down arrow and select ‘Retired’. Select all the player’s names. Put in the scores of all the games played. If the match is stopped in the middle of a game, the game goes to the non-retiring team. The system will automatically award the non-retiring team credit for the rest of the games as if the match was played out. If no games have been completed, enter the match as a ‘Default’.
HOW TO PLAY A COMAN TIEBREAKER
When will it be used?
The Coman Tiebreak Procedure will be used during CTA league play.
What is it?
In the Coman Tiebreak Procedure ends are changed after the first point, then after every four points (i.e., after the 5th, 9th, 13th, 17th points, etc.), and at the conclusion of the tiebreak. The scoring in the Coman Tiebreak Procedure is the same as a traditional set or match tiebreak, and the procedure for playing the Coman Tiebreak is the same as a set or match tiebreak.
For example, if the Coman Tiebreak Procedure is used when the set score is 6-6, the player whose turn it is to serve shall serve the first point from the deuce court; after the first point, the players shall change ends and the following two points shall be served by the player of the opposing team due to serve next, starting with the ad court; after this, each player/team shall serve alternately for two consecutive points (starting with the ad court), changing ends after every four points, until the end of the tiebreak game.
1. Fairness - By changing ends more frequently, the effects of the elements (sun, wind, etc.) are distributed more evenly between the two opponents as opposed to playing six consecutive points before changing ends.
2. In doubles, the server will always serve from the same end of the court, rather than having to serve from both ends.
Please feel free to call/email League Coordinator if you have any questions about scoring.
CTA League Coordinator